By Steve Berger
August 13, 2021
“ Those who would trade safety for freedom deserve neither” Thomas Jefferson
The chorus of vilification intensifies by the day, blaring out from mainstream media, disapproving family and friends, corporate myrmidons of the public health narrative: This is a pandemic of the unvaccinated, the unvaccinated are putting everyone at risk and preventing us from going back to our former freedoms, they are selfish and reckless, etc. The clarion call for vaccine mandates and passports ramps up by the day, even in the face of troubling evidence puncturing holes in the repeated assertion that the vaccines are safe, free and effective. VAERs incidents of death, serious injuries and adverse events following the Covid shots continue their hockey stick ascent, with deaths already eclipsing the total cumulative deaths of all vaccines over the last 20 years. And, by the government’s own admission, these events are likely materially underreported. The mainstream media supinely parrots the public health agencies’ assertion that it is the unvaxxed accounting for the overwhelming percentage of US hospitalizations and deaths. This flies in the face of contrary evidence from heavily, if not almost completely vaccinated, countries like the UK, Israel, Iceland and Gibraltar, to name a few. Moreover, the CDC tabulation of cases is rife with many statistical sleights of hands, as pointed out recently by Alex Berenson and others. Pfizer and Moderna stock prices go parabolic with positive earnings announcements tied to increases in vaccine pricing and volumes. Only a nitwit could seriously believe the shots are free; that you may not be directly charged does not mean that you are not paying a hidden and escalating price for these therapies while cheaper, off-patent, repurposed drugs are showing promising potential in reducing adverse outcomes.
The charge of selfishness for exercising medical freedom and withholding consent to accept an experimental injection galls the most. Health is devolving from a personal, individualized decision based on one’s unique circumstances to a collective responsibility defined by self-anointed public health experts. Consideration of alternative pharmaceutical or nutraceutical therapies is censored or suppressed. Medical and religious exemptions are cast aside. Those with natural immunity from having had and survived Covid now must cast aside their natural immunity and take a shot that for them is all risk and no reward for the privilege of keeping their job or attending a school. My body, my choice, the rallying cry of the Left, rings hollow and is replaced by a jab in every arm, come hell or high water. We appear on a war footing with eerie echoes to the Wilsonian era with its reliance on collective duties, national planning by boards of experts and suppression or criminalization of dissent. No wonder Drs. Martin Kulldorff and Jay Bhattacharya, professors of medicine at Harvard and Stanford, have rued our Covid policies of lockdowns and mandatory vaccinations as the end of scientific enlightenment.
Before we recast individual autonomy and health freedom as selfish, I have a few questions for the vaccinated on the question of the selfishness.:
- What if the blind rush to vaccinate everyone is responsible for the emergence of variants unnecessarily prolonging the pandemic?
- What if Antibody Dependent Enhancement is an outcome of these gene therapy injections and the vaxxed end up becoming a large and perhaps avoidable health care burden?
- What if vaccinating those who already had Covid impairs their otherwise strong natural immunity and/or causes a disproportionate percentage of adverse vaccine injuries among this group? Is it not selfish to prescribe a drug that may be of no medical necessity?
- What if vaccinating pregnant women, the latest pronouncement of the CDC, leads to a higher rate of miscarriages and birth defects, further straining our health system?
- Assuming for the sake of argument that the vaccines are safe and effective, is it not selfish to vaccinate without regard to risk stratification by age, comorbidity etc? Vaccines are not a free good. A policy of mandating that the young and healthy get the shots is one less shot that can go to someone who may truly be at risk from Covid.
- Where does the slippery slope end if one’s body and health become a collective responsibility subject to the fiat of bureaucratic “experts”? Will forced sterilization and euthanasia be the logical outcome of the maniacal rush to cleanse society of the “unclean” and “impure”? Will vaccine passports pave the way for containment centers of the unvaccinated? These questions are no longer in the realm of the imaginable as stories emerge of forcible detention of dissenters from the shot in every arm narrative.
- What if mandatory vaccines and passports have a disproportionate impact on minorities? The CDC’s own data shows that vaccination has been far less prevalent among Blacks and Hispanics. Will they now be displaced from attending restaurants, gyms and places of entertainment unless they produce their papers? The Tuskegee syphilis experiments on blacks should engender mistrust of the federal health agencies. Many blacks already have natural immunity from having suffered higher rates of Covid so are we now subjecting them to the additional indignity of a shot that may not have any medical necessity? Will small businesses in Harlem go under once the Mayor’s edict goes into effect as customers may no longer be allowed to enter. Wasn’t it bad enough that his lockdown policies in one fell swoop put many minority small businesses in bankruptcy while the Zoom class enjoyed creature comforts of remote learning and business? If Black Lives Matter, how do you reconcile it with such medical racism?
While these are only a few of the questions gnawing at me about the baseless charge of selfishness, as a freedom lover, I applaud the right of anyone to make their own decisions about their own body and health. If you think five booster shots and triple masking are the key to your health, be my guest. Just leave me alone to make my own informed decision about my own health. Science and medicine have never been a one size fits all solution. If the vaccines are such great products, you should have no need to offer carrots or sticks to have us take them. Relying on them is an insult to our basic intelligence and humanity.