Small Changes Make For Big Outcomes: Easy Changes You Make In Your Life That Will Help You Take Off Those Extra Pounds
It seems like as soon as humans developed the technology necessary to feed ourselves we have sought ways to lose weight. And with the obesity epidemic in developed nations spreading across the globe, the problem only seems to be getting worse.
And of course even a child knows that the only real way to successfully lose weight and keep it off is diet and exercise. Eating healthy, natural foods low in added sugar and getting as little as 30 minutes of brisk walking in a few times a week according to some studies is all it takes to maintain a good weight.
But having said that, there are some interesting means to enhance your ability to lose weight, to stay motivated. Here are a few:
• Take a selfie – As annoying as selfies are, taking a picture of yourself has proven to be an effective weight loss tool. One study showed that people who took a full-body picture of themselves once a week were able to lose an additional 2.6 percent of body weight over a four month period, perhaps due to seeing their progress or having a visual reminder to eat right and exercise.
• Work out harder, not longer – Choosing intense interval training versus traditional steady cardio like running can shave the inches from your middle. One study form Greece showed that over an eight-month period, people who trained this way lost an inch more fat than people who used a treadmill.
• Eat a peach – If you are going grocery shopping eat a piece of fruit before heading out. A study from Cornell showed that people who ate a piece of fruit before shopping bought 28 percent more produce than people who ate cookies beforehand.
• Get feedback – Weighing yourself can make a big difference. Researchers found that people who stepped on a scale every day lost an average of 5.7 pounds a year, whereas people who forewent the scale only lost 1.
• Take a walk – Assuming you’re already exercising and being mindful of what you eat, adding even as little as a 30 minute walk into your daily routine can helpo you lose an additional 1.6 inches of waistline in just 12 weeks time, according to a Chinese study.
• Go nuts – Keep a bag of almonds around. These nuts pack a powerful protein punch for such a small package, leaving you feeling full and satiated for much longer than if you were to snack on higher carb foods.