Food Choices And Your Chances Of Getting Cancer: How Simple Dietary Choices Can Make A Huge Difference
With all the advances modern medicine–and alternative medical research–is making in the war against cancer, there is plenty to hope for, in terms of a future where even if you do comes down with some form of cancer, you will have a fighting chance.
But more and more research shows that it may well be some of the choices we have made as a society–toxins in our environment, additives and preservatives in our food, chemicals dusting our crops, overmedication of ourselves and our food animals–that are the driving force behind cancer.
And while we as individuals can only change so much about the unhealthy ways society does things–keep on fighting though!–we can certainly do something about our individual choices.
And a great place to start is with your diet. Here are some great foods that can help reduce your chances of getting cancer.
• Beans, beans – Beans are great for you in so many ways, an excellent plant-based source of protein for starters. But studies have also shown that beans contain certain phytochemicals that can help protect your cells against cancer damage. In lab tests these chemicals slowed tumor growth and prevented tumors that already existed from releasing substances that hurt cells nearby.
• Green leafy vegetables – Dark green leafy veggies like kale, lettuce, mustard greens and spinach are bursting with fiber, folate and carotenoids, all of which have been shown to help protect against cancer of the larynx, mouth, pancreas, lung and stomach.
• Grapes and grape juice – Purple and red grapes contain resveratrol, a powerful antioxidant that also has anti-inflammatory properties. Lab studies have shown resveratrol was able to help prevent the kind of cellular damage that can set off the cancer process.
• Water water everywhere – There has been plenty of research showing the value of staying hydrated, but new studies seem to indicate that drinking plenty of water has some anti-cancer benefits as well, especially in terms of bladder cancer. By keeping plenty of water flowing through your system, you can dilute the concentrations of potentially cancer-causing agents in your bladder. And by urinating more often, the time that those damage-causing agents are in contact with your bladder lining is reduced.
• The cabbage patch kids – Veggies in the cabbage family like broccoli, cauliflour, cabbage and Brussels sprouts can help defend your body against cancers of the breast, cervix and colon.
Happy eating: the natural way! Remember, when it comes to cancer the best defense is a good offense!